At athleteReg, we are closely monitoring the impact of COVID-19 on events across the country and are currently fielding questions from event directors.
There are a number of good resources that provide recommendations and more detailed steps that events should consider.
The CDC has provided guidance on community events: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.html
The Road Runners Club of America has also provided recommendations for athletic events: https://www.rrca.org/news-articles/news-archives/2020/03/03/managing-communications-and-cancellations-coronavirus
For events sanctioned by USA Cycling, they are communicating with event directors as well.
Things to consider
- Communicate with your athletes. Do you have a plan? Are there any changes to the event, the policies, or associated festivities? What’s the risk level and what precautions are being taken? Use our email tools to keep your athletes informed.
- Set up a scheduled email to automatically go out 1 to 2 days after the participant registers with any pertinent information you want them to be aware of (cancellation policy, rain date, etc.).
- Clearly post your refund and/or deferral policy and any relevant information on your registration page. Consider sending this out with any communication to your athletes.
- Consider offering credits to a future event if athletes cannot or choose not to attend. Our credit tool will provide your participant with a code (valued at their original transaction amount) they can use at future events you select within your account.
- Hold some funds in your account to cover potential refunds. Cancelling or postponing an event is never something you want to do, and holding back funds allows you to be prepared for this or for any athlete cancellations.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at Support@athleteReg.com.